Friday, April 29, 2011

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night....

So today I picked up the eldest from school and rather than listening to talk radio like I normally do, I had the local classic rock station on. Sometimes I just want good music rather than a rehash of global drama. Plus, I suspected a lot of today's talk would be about the royal wedding, which I have been avoiding like the plague. (Although I did envy Kate Middleton's dress. Classic and lovely.)

So eldest asks me what "living like a refugee" is like, since I turned the song up because I happen to like Tom Petty. I explained a little bit about war refugees and how they have to run or be imprisoned or killed, and he completely surprised me with an insightful response, "So the song is saying it's better to face your fears and fight through them rather than keep running from them." Yeah, sorta. Sheesh. Every now and then he does this and makes me think.

The next song begins and we're not far from home. I like this one too so I turn it up. Out of the corner of my eye I see him rocking out to air guitar, so I ask, "Like this one, eh?" He says "Yep, I like rock, and I like....country western." Eck. He didn't get that from me. Old country western and gangsta rap are on the very short list of music I don't like. I can tolerate some modern country rock, but I cannot listen to the twangy old stuff, I just can't.

We get to our driveway and the song is in the middle, so we sit in the driveway and listen all the way through. Usually he jumps right out of the car, but not this time. "I like rock, and this song sounds like good new rock to me." Ok, cool, but the song isn't 'new'. 'I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night' was in fact recorded by Kiss in 1975. My eldest is astounded. "They made music like this back then? It's still good!" Yes, yes it is.

And my son is now an enthusiastic member of the Kiss Army. Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment