Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Blustery Day

Last night I spent much of the night listening to the rain on the skylights over my head and snuggled deep into my blankets, thankful I wasn't wet or cold. I love listening to the rain in that context; it's a comfort for me that lets me have pleasant dreams and good sleep.

This morning was wet and gray and chilly, but I had kids to get to school and then an interview with what I thought was a company I had sent my resume to a week or so ago.

The sun was coming out, but the wind was picking up at the time of my online "interview". What I thought was a legitimate company I had contacted was in actuality a recruiting company that had no doubt scraped my data from the job site I posted my resume on. I was not happy, but I sat through about an hour of their spiel with about six hundred other people in the chat room and then bailed when they began conducting their "interviews". They then had the gall to continue to ping my email saying to "Log In Now for Your Interview!" for the next half hour or so...I don't know how long they kept it up because I closed that email, disgusted. The job was not one I wanted or applied for, it was solely commission based, and had no other real human interaction. I'd be sort of a bulk recruiter, selling people for my money.

Yeah no thanks, I hate sales because I'm bad at it. I can admire those people who are all into what they do, love every minute of it and could sell ice to Eskimos. But I can't do it. I've tried. I just don't have that sales spark.

By the time I was done with all this, it was much sunnier, if windier, and the air was making some awesome cloud sculptures in the sky. Awe-inspiring enough to paint, if you could keep your easel and canvas from blowing away. The only other state where I've seen clouds like Colorado's has been, oddly enough, Rhode Island. When the wind and weather is just right you can get a pile of huge clouds off the sea that presents spectacularly against the city of Providence right around the Thurber's Avenue curve. Of course, you can't paint going past at 60mph, (the view was often from the highway), but if you could make a buddy drive you you could get some good shots on your camera.

Reminded simultaneously of why I like Colorado so much and of why I love home so much, it was difficult to be happy today. The thought that I could move home because I have no job now has been on my mind, but I've come to love Colorado enough that it would be painful to leave it.

And so today is a day for sitting in the car, listening to the wind and watching the sky as I wait to take my kids home from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment