Thursday, April 14, 2011

Every Girl's Crazy 'Bout a Sharp-dressed Man

So, I believe I did threaten to bore you with crafts at some point on this blog. It's in the description, after all. If you're not a crafty-type person you might skip this, or you might choose to read it anyway for some laughs when I have a craft-fail, as I sometimes do.

I'm currently helping my husband work on a large hanging demonstration chess board for the upcoming scout show this Saturday. Yes, I said this Saturday. We have all the pieces; one large white mostly fabric shower curtain (pre-made hanging apparatus, a time-saving trick), some velcro, various glues, some posterboard, and a bunch of black, white, red and yellow felt squares. We have not started assembly yet, or I'd have some pics.

Yes, I remember, it's due this Saturday. But I'm nothing if not a blitz-crafter, semi-decent under pressure. We'll only really run into trouble if we have some sort of terrible gluing accident. Yeah, I'm optimistic too.

While we were at the local big-box craft store picking up the last of the felt squares (they have alligator-skin embossed felt, how cool is that?), I remembered I had promised my elder son I would make a bow-tie for him.

For some reason my son is obsessed with bow-ties. He wanted one for school picture day, but only happened to mention it to me on the phone the day of picture-taking. The school phone. He was in fact calling from school, minutes before he was scheduled to sit down in front of the photographer. I would have had to break the land speed record to go out, get him a bow-tie and get it to him in ten minutes. I considered it for two wild seconds, but my car's engine would never have taken it. (I'm givin 'er all she's got, Cap'n! 'Er engines cannae take any more!)

In fact I would probably have done fairly well just cutting him a construction paper one and sticking it on with tape when I got there (he would have been happy, he's easy to please), but then you get these LOOKS from the teachers and photographers. You know what I'm talking about. The ones that look like they're deciding whether or not to call Child Protective Services on you.

So I told him we'd go and pick out fabric for a proper bow-tie for him at a later date, which happened to be today. He picked out this:


Yes, I did put it against an orange background for added awesome. My son loves green, and he wanted a pattern. The only thing that would have made it better would have been the same colors in a spiral pattern. I love my boy's taste.

So now I have the fabric, I have an online pattern, and I just have to choose the method of fastening, whether clip or sewn elastic. I don't have matching thread, but it should be on the inside and invisible anyways. My husband piped up with the idea of gold embroidery thread for topstitching, which I am giving serious thought to. I believe he may have been joking, because he was half-laughing when he said it, but you do not give me ideas like that and expect me not to try it. I am a dangerous kind of crafter, the one with too many ideas. You add more on and you're asking for it.

The bow-tie will be a project for Saturday most likely, as the hanging chessboard takes priority tomorrow, at least until we start resorting to staples. If I don't embarrass myself I'll have pics when it's finished. Heck, I'll put pics up there even if they do embarrass me, I'm not proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment