Monday, April 18, 2011

The chessboard...and a new project

Today I had to go ask the state for my unemployment money, after jumping through some hoops and answering a bunch of questions. It reminds me of the sequence in the Romans segment of History of the World Part I, where Mel Brooks' character is at Bea Arthur's unemployment window dealing with her snide remarks. (Bea: "What's your occupation." Mel: "Stand-up Philosopher!" Bea: "Oh....a bullshit artist!" Mel: "Grrr!")
One of my favorite movies ever. I'm just glad I don't have to physically go to the unemployment office to report my work searches for the week. They'd haul me out in a straight jacket because I'd be standing there giggling with the movie playing in my head.

The cloth chessboard worked pretty well. They had to mark the king and queen, because I forgot the king is supposed to be the tallest piece on the board. Oops. Although in my defense, the templates printed like that. They didn't use it to play on, but they did use it to demonstrate proper board set-up. I was particularly proud of the knight piece. I altered the template to look more appropriately horsey rather than rounded and soft and cute looking.



My youngest was manning the chess boards, helping other scouts earn their chess belt loops. He was pretty well-mannered for most of it, until he got bored. (Board, haha. Yeah, I like the bad puns, sorry.)




Even though we were only there for about 3 hours or so, the show wiped us out. Or rather, wiped me out. Standing on a concrete floor for hours is not recommended. Still, the kids had fun, and that's what counted. Both my boys just had to try riding the "bucking bronco". They each lasted about 4 seconds. They got a free cotton candy for trying, and that was the big hit of the day.



Today it was on to a new project for me...I cut out the pieces of the bow-tie and pinned them. I'm a little intimidated by the quarter inch seam, but I figure I'll go slow. Haha, if I go right off the edge it'll be funny. But, I'll have learned something. I believe I am what they call a "process crafter". I love to learn new techniques and different things, and eventually master them. This project will teach me sewing around curves and sewing very narrow seams.


Very narrow seams. Yipes. But if my son likes it when it's done, that'll be all the encouragement I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment