Thursday, June 9, 2011

Snikt! Bamf!

Have you ever had someone ask you the question: If you could have the super power of flight or invisibility, which one would you choose? You can only choose one; no switching back and forth. Each power is only that; no super strength or telepathy included. This question is supposed to tell you something about yourself depending on how you answer.

People are not asked to explain why they themselves chose what they did, but even if you don't ask they will almost invariably choose and then explain why. Some are practical about their choice, "I'd choose flight so I could avoid rush hour", and some are very blunt, "If I was invisible I'd never pay for anything I wanted again, I'd just take it since no one could see me". But regardless of how the power would be used, we all feel a need to explain.

Over the last two nights my family has watched an X-Men Marathon, movies one, two and three, in succession. This was precipitated by my husband, who didn't have any special agenda, except that he saw reviews coming out for X-Men: First Class and got bitten by the bug again. Our elder son had not seen them and upon hearing our descriptions of some of the scenes he was excited to watch.

My elder son, as I have said, talks incessantly during movies unless made to hush. But he had some interesting questions this time around due to the plots of the various movies; what is it that makes people human or mutant, why do people on both sides hate each other, and why don't they realize there are good and bad folks on both sides?

Trying to explain human nature to ourselves, let alone a twelve year old, is a difficult task. Why do some people want to attack those who are different from them selves, while others seek unity and peace? That question is eight thousand years old and hasn't been solved yet.

You can see the strong parallels between the hatred and fear of mutants and the search for a "cure" in the Marvel world, and the persecution this world doles out to those it comes to hate or fear. My elder son pointed out that Magneto and his family were persecuted by Nazis when he was young; why didn't he understand that to turn around and do the same thing to humans was making him into the very thing he despised? That by claiming to be of a "superior race" he was emulating the Nazis that had torn apart his life and the lives of millions of others?

Because he was still only human, even if his DNA allowed him to control metal. Heady stuff, for a twelve year old. I still don't know if he understands it. I don't completely understand it myself. What I do understand is that these stories are apocryphal tales that reflect our current fears and hopes; the characters may change over time, but the underlying stories are always the same. How to fit yourself into the world around you in the best way possible, and how to help others do the same. And to have fun during the whole experience that is life.

I'm still trying to decide on what power would be the most fun to have, and I'm not limiting myself to flight or invisibility. I'm a lover of variety; I think the best power to have would be the power that allows you to "borrow" other powers for a brief time. That way I'd never be bored, and always have a surprise up my sleeve. It was close though...I almost chose SNIKT! and BAMF!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so you want to be Rogue! Fine choice, she's my favorite. I would think that the moral issues that lie beneath the X-Men saga are good to discuss with your kids.

    ReplyDelete