Monday, June 13, 2011

A Promising Start to the Week

So as I nervously wait to hear from a couple of different places about job applications, I occupied myself with finishing a few things.

One "spa facecloth" for the church festival. I now have about a week to complete a basket of stuff if I want to offer it for the auction. No pressure. But the patterns must be as cushy and spa-like as possible. Selecting them is part of what is slowing me down. I sure have plenty of yarn.

Completed weed-mageddon on some of what are possibly the nastiest weeds I have ever encountered anywhere, and oh joy, they love my yard. If you let them they grow into tall inch-thick stalks with broad lobed leaves, and the entire plant root to tip is covered in spikes. These spikes have the temerity to stab through deerhide gloves when you're pulling them. They also love to grow up between the stalks of other plants, so you can't just weed whack them and you can't spray weedkiller will nilly. According to research these plants share a root system, so even when you pull them they just spring back up again within a week. The recommended method of eradication is an eyedropper and concentrated doses of a strong herbicide that will be drawn into the root system and destroy from within. Yeah, I have time to eyedropper every single weed at its base over a half acre of lawn and landscaping. I briefly considered buying a stock of large-bore hypodermic needles and injecting the nasty buggers, but that again amounts to me having to run over a half acre of yard zapping every single one. Plus, the bulk order of hypodermics will make me look like a junky on a bender (Yeah yeah these are for WEEDS, yep. That's the ticket.) or a mad scientist performing disturbing botanical experiments in my back yard. I think for now uprooting them will have to do.

Remembered an artwork I created for my aunt some years ago, and that I had drawn it on tracing paper to better be able to transfer the design wherever I wanted it. I did see this paper during the last move, so I know I still have it, and the thought of using a different medium or altering it and doing it again is appealing to me. I just have to find it again.

Eyed the Hummer that the new owner of the house across the street owns and restrained my natural urge to key the unholy hell out of it. The Hummers that have evolved from their military, purely utilitarian roots earn nothing but contempt from me unless they're loaded with a full family, camping, fishing, and hunting gear and a couple dogs every time they pull out of the driveway. Otherwise they are wasting gas and destroying the environment. No, you do not look cool driving your over-sized, gussied up fake Hummer alone by yourself. You look like a greedy ass.

Bought some gluten-free chocolate chip cookie mix and will be trying that out tonight...

...after watching the Bruins play the Canucks in the Stanley Cup finals. I have not been a huge hockey fan since living in Michigan and rooting for the Red Wings, but I remember the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup with Bobby Orr at the helm. Yes, I was young, but I remember it (barely), and I was born and raised in New England. I can't not watch and cheer. Go Bruins!

And there's a lovely storm with lightning and thunder coming in. The perfect end to an eclectic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment