Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Generous to a Fault

Today I found out my elder son took a twenty plus about another twelve dollars in smaller bills from his piggy bank to the YMCA day camp he attends with his brother. Today was a planned trip to the roller skating rink, and he knows what's on offer there; junk food and arcade games. It was a disappointment he did not ask his Dad or I if he could take the money, but not really a surprise. He's learned that if he doesn't ask, he can't be told no.

Once there he gave a dollar to his brother and another to a "friend" who promptly told another kid, who then went over and asked my son for money. Luckily a camp counselor intervened and prevented him from spending the twenty on top of the twelve he had already spent by then, or I'm sure the other beggars, er I mean kids, would have bled him dry. The first we heard of it was when the counselor called us to ask if we had given him all that money.

Needless to say I was annoyed. And doubly so when he attempted to explain his taking money without asking as, "I was hungry!" I guess he forgot we pack him a generous lunch every day. Oops. It was obvious the junk food was more of a draw.

I like and admire generosity in my child. It will serve him well, as long as he can tell the difference between being generous and being taken advantage of, as he was today. I could easily slap the other kids who played him like a fiddle, but it isn't their fault, they did what kids do when faced with a peer who has goodies. Beg, whine, threaten and plead until they get what they want, much like they do with their parents. Only my son has no authority to stop them once he puts the goods out there, and he has a definite weakness for wanting to be liked. A truly bad combination.

My son received a lecture, from both his dad and I, on being generous versus being used, as well as the merits of letting your parents know your plans ahead of time. His piggy bank is being held by his Dad and I so he will need to ask for any funds from now on. I am considering confiscating his brother's as well so no behind-the-scenes manipulating can go on, which I have caught before. We're all treating this as a teaching moment, a lesson in fiscal responsibility, and more will be coming.

And I am very generous with my lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment