Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gone Bananas!

This week, I have the whole house to myself all day, for five days. The kids and Dad are at a scout day camp, either attending or helping out. It's the second whole day and I can still hardly believe it.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my family even when they mess up the house, yell over whose turn it is on the Wii, and throw their stinky socks all over the house as if they were tossing pennies in a wishing fountain. But I am one of those folks who occasionally needs alone time to fully recharge again. And when I mean alone time, I mean completely alone and unreachable. No kids shouting for Mom to find their underwear, no cell phones ringing, no TV, no nothing. I'm also one of those people who is perfectly fine being alone with myself, and if it weren't for my need for food and water (and occasionally sunlight) I'd probably be a complete recluse. Complete alone time has been very scarce since the birth of my kids, so I cherish it, even if it's just a short drive to the store to pick up something to eat.

Now you know how I value my solitude, and why I'm so geeked about this week.

Yesterday I tore up my closet swapping winter clothes for summer. And that was very satisfying, even if half the pile of summer clothes doesn't fit any longer (Ouch, time for a reduction in sweets, methinks). I also tore up my big ol' yarn box digging out cotton yarn, of which I have loads, in order to knit and/or crochet spa cloth sets. Now it's all in neat lines next to the bed while I try out a pattern. Why spa cloths? I dunno, it seems like a summery thing to knit. There's a local church festival in two weeks that will feature some crafts for auction; I think I had this half-formed idea to contribute, but as usual I left myself way too little time to get enough done to matter. Eh well, doesn't keep me from trying, and if I miss the date they still make cool gifts.

I dug out some beads, although I still have to dig out the bead box to really peruse my collection. Having made approximately two bracelets and one set of earrings in my life, the collection of beads I am slowly building up is optimistic at best; I think of it as storing up potential crafting for the future terror of boredom. When I finally decide to go on a beading bender, I want to go in a big way, with a massive selection of beads almost burying me at my crafting table.

Whispering sweet nothings to me are the twin, almost related, crafts of soap-making and candle-making. I've done melt-and-pour soapmaking and have a small collection of fragrances. Candlemaking I have yet to try, but how hard could it be? You melt stuff til it's hot and pourable and pour it in the mold, just like the soap. Except it's wax, which is a little harder to clean up if you spill. Note to self: put down plenty of newspaper before pouring candles.

The last two days have been scorchers so I've mostly been staying in, with quick trips out to water my garden which is going gang-busters, except for the cucumber plants. The first one was destroyed by hail and the second by wind. I think I'm being told cucumbers are not to be raised by me. Fine. I can take a hint. My squash and zucchini are showing every sign of taking over the garden anyways, so nyah nyah cucumbers.

Today the black bananas went into banana bread despite, or maybe because of, the heat. Another day and we'd have had banana wine. Mixing by hand wasn't so bad, but then, it wasn't a cookie dough. I'm just going to have to bite down and order mixing bowls to replace the ones ruined in the oven. I miss my mixer.

Yep, I'll order the bowls, and maybe a presser foot for my sewing machine. I like the hemming foot I used in sewing class, but my machine didn't come with one. And that flannel cloth is just calling to me this week. Although the thought of flannel in this heat has me cringing.

Yes, this week my solitude is full of possibilities. And maybe a side trip to get a slushie or two to wash down the banana bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment