Friday, May 13, 2011

Here Comes the Sun...

This morning I awoke to sun again, glorious, warm golden sun. After it raining for two days straight here I was ready to start building a large boat and collecting animals. I know, wimpy, right? It rained for forty days and nights in the famous Ark story. Two days should be nothing. But when the grass on the lawn starts squishing underfoot something is seriously whacked.

My new plants seem to have made it through the two-day deluge relatively intact, if a little bedraggled. The dose of sun should do them good today. I know it lifted my spirits. I left my weekly job search all to today, putting undue stress on myself to get five contacts. I was resolved to just close my eyes and point at the screen and shoot resumes off wherever my finger landed, and I am ashamed to say I did do that for two of them. But I found actual prospects for the other three, so I feel better about that. But I determinedly enjoyed the rest of the warm sunny day by going out and driving around in it. The radio station obliged by playing the Doors and Lynyrd Skynyrd, so I blasted the radio with the windows open and annoyed people I'm sure.

Other people were enjoying the sun too; there was lots of traffic, particularly around the garden stores as people bought plants from the new shipments. I didn't get more plants today but I did go get fasteners for my sons' bow-ties (which I haven't sewn up yet...I'm such a chicken) and elastic for the waistband of my (eventual) pj shorts.

My computer decided to act cranky and lock me out of my profile for a few hours, which had me near panic...I'm one of those people who talks the good game about always backing up your stuff, and then never does it. Yeah I deserve what I get. But I'll still cry if I lose all those photos. On the agenda for this weekend; discs to back up my junk!

After the kids were home my husband and I decided to go out shopping together; my younger son needed a shirt and tie for  his first Communion, plus we needed to find wonton wrappers for Italian nachoes. The nachoes came out awesome, yum. And as a bonus the bank was giving out coupons for the local ice cream place so we went and cashed one of those in.

Then, while we were enjoying our ice cream....my cell phone rang. It was my elder son, panicking over something he had done on my computer. He had asked to play a computer game before we left, and I told him to go ahead, but that the computer had been cranky. Sometimes he'll play a disc-based game, and sometimes he'll play one of those browser-based games. Instead of loading a game, he decided to take a dare put to him by some kids at school.

I imagine you can see where this is going. And no I'm not revealing the link he typed in or what he saw when it loaded. These were 12 year old boys daring him. Suffice to say that my biggest worry, a virus on my computer, did not happen. If it had, my son might well have been buried in the back yard garden bed up to his neck in the dirt for a week. As it was he was a blubbering wreck when we got home, and apologized profusely. My husband then had the unenviable task of ferreting out what he saw and what he thought about it, and did he need more info to clear some confusion. A couple of times I had to stifle laughter as I eavesdropped on this delicate conversation. "Do I like girls? Ewwwww, no!"

My son is now banned from my computer indefinitely, a punishment which he took meekly without the usual eyeroll or groan of protest. He's been told not to take dares before because generally they're designed to get him in trouble, but he claimed he "forgot". I think he was curious. It's fine to be curious, but be curious on your own computer, not Mom's un-backed-up relic that is so senile that sometimes it can't even load its own Windows program.

Yesterday this really might have bothered me a great deal, but with the sun still glowing on my skin it was hard to be mad for too long. And it's going to be a whole week before there's rain in the forecast again. Time to break out the sunscreen and shades and go for a long, long stroll. Come on Summer, I'm waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment