Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bugs!

By nature I am wary of bugs. They come inside the house despite your best efforts, and just when you think you're safe and happy BOO! there's a beetle crawling across your pillow! Or a moth fluttering near your yarn (that really drives me right off my nut), or a silverfish eating the glue binding your book spines together, or a wasp buzzing against the window glass trying to get out (how did it get in in the first place, is there a nest, eek!).

I can't even talk about spiders. Yes I know technically they're arachnids and not bugs, but if you want to get technical spiders make me crazier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Just. don't. go. there. The way they move, all spindly-legged, or far, far worse, hang in the air on a thread....eeeeeyeck!(Oddly enough, I don't bat an eyelash at tarantulas. I've held them and let them crawl on me. No freak outs. It must be that they're so huge it doesn't register as a spider anymore. More like a fat mouse with bristly fur and too many legs.)

So tonight my younger son was in a concert at school. A concert about bugs. The second graders have been studying the life cycles of various creepy-crawlies all year and this was the culmination. At least they gave my son the ant to study. Some kids got cockroaches, eck. I'm sure their parents are very proud though.

As soon as they walked on stage the audience was eating out of their hands. Half the kids had bug "antennae" on their heads, the others had green visors (I'm not sure what type of bug this was supposed to represent....maybe a praying mantis' large green eyes?). We'd been instructed to dress them in colorful clothes, and some girls were wearing ladybug polkadots and flowing butterfly type dresses. It was all so cute it almost, almost made me appreciate bugs a little more. That's still gonna take some doing.


Some kids got to speak lines indicating what type of bug they were. One little girl was a stinkbug, poor thing, and all the other kids, er bugs, held their noses and told her to go away. It was a standout part though. She got sung to by butterflies, telling her it would get better. Possibly the best song of the night. Of course I loved the fireflies song, where the kids were given little wands and walked back and forth across the stage in the dark waving the lights, weaving in and out. My younger son got to be in this group, and I got a few shots, though the light was low.


Haha, I just noticed the kids' eyes glowing, kind of spooky. I didn't see that at the concert.

Halfway through the show, in between numbers, some poor kid passed out in the back of the audience and EMT services were called. The show was halted and all the second graders behaved very well while the emergency was handled by the adults. We were all very impressed by the kids' maturity. The poor kid is going to be alright, he was just severely dehydrated apparently.

After the show we were invited into the school halls to check out our kids' bug reports and see what they had been up to during the year. I discovered my younger son is quite the conversationalist in written media. He breaks the fourth wall, makes it entertaining by cracking jokes about himself and his subjects, and basically stretched the idea of a formal report on ants into a comic commentary on daily life. Now if I could just get him to write out his book reports the same way....


My little guy hamming it up with his ant report. He's still wearing his antennae, cute stuff! After the mini-reception was done, we ran through the rain....and it has been raining all day here today, how dreary...to the car and back home. Once he was done with supper I sprang a surprise on my younger son and offered him a treat he'd been salivating over for almost a week, ever since I won it in a basket of goodies in a silent auction.



And of course, like all the best treats, it turned his tongue strange and awful colors while he was eating it.

Sweets for my sweet little bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment