Friday, May 20, 2011

Here Comes the Sun Part II

So this morning the grass was still squishing, but at least....yes....the SUN came out! I felt like going out into the middle of the cul de sac and dancing a sun dance with pagan abandon, but I settled for enjoying it while driving the kids to school instead. I'm sure the neighbors appreciated that.

Of course my youngest was thrilled because today was his school field day, and the school had brought in inflatable bouncy houses and slides. I don't remember those at my school's field days! The best I could hope for was not to throw up while doing the forehead-to-the-bat-handle and spin around it twenty times (Did you ever do that? It's funny as heck to watch everyone else do it and fall over dizzy, until it's your turn.), or break an arm doing the wheelbarrow races. Field days have gone carnival apparently. The bouncy structures were going to be available until five in the evening, but at about four a roll of thunder and some dark clouds appeared, causing them to shut it down early. Since we weren't able to get back to the school until then (had to pick up eldest from  his school), my youngest was sorely disappointed, especially since the weather didn't even then have the courtesy to oblige with a thunderstorm after that warning growl.

The dog was absolutely loopy all day, racing from one end of the yard to the other when he was let out, and he begged to be let out often. I didn't blame him one bit. You have to grab these sunny days when you can, lately.

I pulled up my bootstraps and went out and checked my seedlings; crushed, as I had envisioned. I don't even know if the cuke and squash seeds are still in their dirt mounds, or if the pounding hail and rain obliterated them too. Oh well, I guess this weekend I go fight the hordes for more. Only this time I go out early. Haha, I say that now. We shall see.

More wild animal weirdness; I saw three little gray squirrels when I came back from dropping my kids at school. They were playing on and around the fence separating our yard from our neighbor's, doing typical crazy squirrel stuff and scampering around jumping at each other. Then one breaks off to run across our yard, right up to my car door. Where it sits, looking around and looking cute, not realizing I'm less than a foot away staring down at it. I watched it for a few minutes, then had to break the spell by opening the car door. I had a brief vision of the little thing running in and going whack-bonk on me, running all over the car chittering, jumping in my hair, me screaming, like a Lucille Ball comedy, but it ran under the car instead. That's my inner life; one long comedy reel. People wonder why I might sometimes grin or laugh for no apparent reason? It's that reel playing. Smile, you might be the current star.

I'll leave you with a song that's been one of my favorites since I was two years old. Probably my first favorite, if we count such things. Thanks Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, you intrigued me so, when you were a small child. Wandering off into your own world...You were oblivious to anything or anybody who entered, uninvited, into the magical places your mind (and books) would take you. You were a treasure, my sweet girl. And I so wish I knew you today...though I'd like to think that you've not changed much... I love you still. Your first stepmom...Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have changed much....although now I try to teach my boys about the magic too. You were my first inspiration, in crafts, fun things to do every day, and books to read. You introduced me to The Hobbit at nine years old...it was all over after that. I love you still too. :)

    ReplyDelete