Monday, May 16, 2011

From Chicken to Juggernaut

Yes, I finally did it. I sewed the bow tie. Two, in fact, because once my youngest saw his brother's bow tie he had to have one. Despite a couple mistakes on each (including making the ends too short, *choke*), the boys loved them and insisted on wearing them the rest of the day. With their t-shirts. I can see a lesson in fashion-sense coming up soon. We do not wear bow ties with t-shirts. Well, ok, you can in the house. But don't go outside. I don't want the neighbors to think I let you out dressed like that.

My youngest ended up wearing his for his First Communion, which was a hit. A teenage girl saw him in it and immediately told her boyfriend that he should start wearing one. My boys may have started a huge bow tie trend now, so if you see teens suddenly interested, it started here! I just have a few adjustments to make to the pattern and it should be near-perfect, with only my stitching skills to practice on. I need to learn to leave myself more of a seam allowance than an eighth of an inch. Trying not to sew off the edge of the fabric on a curve is challenge enough without a teensy space to maneuver in.

The First Communion was a big deal for all of us. I was afraid my youngest would make odd faces and act up, but he went through with flying colors and despite appearances to the contrary, said it was "fun". (Of course the rest of the service was "boring".) He's happy he can go up with the rest of us now and not just settle for a blessing. I give this novelty about two weeks, after which time he'll be groaning and squirming in the pew, anxious to bolt out the doors again. But at least he's a part of it all now, which is important to him.

So now I have a washed piece of flannel fabric waiting for me to obtain a pattern and cut it for my (eventual) pj shorts. I have to finish the fabric edges, then sew seams, including inseams, and put in elastic.I washed the fabric two days ago, and folded it neatly to await the scissors.

I started crocheting another amigurumi yesterday, for a popular priest that's leaving our parish in June. Have to get it done before he leaves, right?

I'm such a chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment